Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Donkey ball and birthday cakes

Last night we went to see a donkey basketball game, which for all of you not in the know, is exactly what it sounds like. Basketball played on donkeys. They put rubber shoes on the donkeys and send them into the gym for a game. The players have to be seated on the donkey to make a goal, and cannot go get the basketball without their donkey (though this rule was broken a bit last night).

The donkeys are each specially trained to do some activity that makes them hard to ride, i.e. bucking, ducking, etc. Which usually makes for a hilarious show, because people try so hard to get on the donkey only to be dumped off within a couple of seconds.

But last night, for me, was not as entertaining as it usually is. The players just got on the donkeys to shoot the ball and then got right back off and pulled the donkeys back and forth across the floor instead of riding them. It was quite boring after awhile.

But anyway, others events this week include a trip to the grocery store this evening to buy ingredients to make one of A’s birthday cakes for Saturday. He will be the big 2-5! A whole quarter century! (At least I’ve still got 7 months before I get there, so he’ll be old by himself for a little while. )

ANYway, the point is this cake I will be making. It’s called mandarin orange cake, and is basically a cake mix with oranges added in, pineapple in the icing. It is one of the best kinds of cake I’ve ever eaten, and this is my first attempt making it. I really hope it turns out well, because I really want to eat it!

I also (mildly) sprained my ankle this morning. By stepping on the side of a ledge approximately one inch off the ground. Aye yai yai. But this is coming from the gal who literally fell all the way to the ground in the Arby’s parking lot at one point, because I stepped off a HALF INCH step that I didn’t see. Actually, I think the step was even smaller than a half inch. So at least I didn’t actually fall on the ground this time…

1 comment:

Dana said...

I've heard others say that this years donkey basketball game wasn't as good as previous years...