Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Puppy Plans

I think I’ve probably told you that we’re (A and I) wanting to get a puppy this spring. And part of the obstacles to that have been fencing (we have none and need some). We originally wanted to put up an actual fence around the yard, because of other dogs (the neighbor’s) and the chickens (the same neighbor’s) that randomly wander around our yard. We didn’t think it would be a good idea if those mixed.

However.

Fencing is expensive and less than aesthetically pleasing if you want it to be effective and keeping animals in (or out). So we’re now thinking it would probably be more cost effective to get a shock collar fence. The neighbor dogs are very friendly, and the chickens deal with those dogs just fine, so they’d probably be fine with a puppy.

We hopefully (probably) will be able to afford the fencing with our tax refund (hello housing credit!) so now we’re getting ready to start researching breeds. We’re going to get a dog from the pound, but I’d like to have an idea of what characteristics different breeds have, so if a dog has a mix of certain breeds we can better estimate its personality and SIZE (read: how much it will eat!).

Regardless of the type of fencing or dog or anything though, I am very excited!

4 comments:

livinglife said...

We have a shock collar for our dog. It works great!

Sarah said...

I can't wait to see pictures of your puppy when you get one! :)
I think a shock collar is a good idea!

Anonymous said...

I say get a cat!!! :)

Page Turner said...

Well, I would get a cat, because I really miss mine, but then it would have to be a house cat or it might get run over on the highway. :( And I can't do the inside pet thing! lol