Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Amish Cinnamon Bread...or something like that.

I’m not much of a cook. I don’t have a reason to do much of it at the moment, and I’m not anxious to just whip stuff up for fun usually. With cooking there is a little too much guesswork for me to feel comfortable with it. A little too much uncertainty.

But baking…now that I like.

I still don’t do a ton of it, but I enjoy it when I do. I like how things have to be done a certain way, and that things have to be measured out just so and then mixed in the correct order for things to turn out right. Which happens about %50 percent of the time. Then 25% of the time, whatever I attempted doesn’t turn out exactly right, but it still tastes good. The other 25% is pure disaster.

The other day I got some Amish Cinnamon Bread to try and make. (It’s the stuff that you mush for so many days and then bake after 10 and you have 4 starters to give away. You might have heard of it…and you might have heard that it’s a bit of a pain to try to remember to mush the stuff every night. And if you hadn’t heard that, now you have.) 2 days ago was baking day, so of course I waited until about 8 to start the stuff. (I had to make an emergency run to the grocery store at the beginning because I didn’t have any bags for the starters…but anyways.) It took quite a bit of work, including scraping the bottom of the flour container because I almost ran out. And scraping the bottom of the sugar container with lots of noise and clinking and horrible noise, only to find that there was an entire new bag of sugar in the cabinet. *sigh*

I made a mess scooping starters into bags and spilled some sugar and flour and probably put a bit too much cinnamon in (hey, I like cinnamon!) but I finally got the 2 loaves into the oven at about nine. They looked like they would turn out pretty tasty, seeing as they had a nice mound dusting of sugar and cinnamon over the top.

Then I waited and read my book and waited and piddled around for an hour until…my bread was done!

I hurried to take them out of the oven, only to find that the loaves were pretty sunken looking in the middle…but I hoped they would still taste good and rescue themselves from Disaster Category 3 classification.

We tried them yesterday, and though I may be a bit prejudiced toward them, I think they tasted acceptable. They at least scraped a Category 2, Minor Success classification. Maybe next time we will go for Category 1!

If there is a next time.

Meh, who keeps track of such triviality? ;)

No comments: