Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, December 17, 2009

The crazily good peanut butter krispie treat thingies adventure.

Well, I finally got it! I found the recipe that disappears at work snack days. Finally!

Now, it WAS only a partial snack day. What I mean by that is this has been a snack week and people have been bringing a snack on assigned days—yesterday was my day. That means that there has been a snack table filled with snacks—but it has been considerably more limited choices than would be available on a regular snack day where everyone brings some.

I don’t care. My snacks were almost completely gone! I took them off the table around 4 (an hour early) so that A could have a taste—there was only 1 (count ‘em 1!) left! Woohoo!

I made a recipe out of a Skippy Peanut Butter cookbook that I got off the sale table at Walmart who knows how long ago. Every recipe has peanut butter in it. (Nom Nom Nom…) This was the first recipe I attempted, and A and I both deem it a major success despite the minor hiccup we had in preparation.

I don’t even remember the name of the recipe, but it was basically peanut butter Rice Krispie treats topped with chocolate chips and marshmallows and then broiled to make the marshmallows nice and golden. That’s where the hiccup comes in.

I read the next step in the recipe after we had sprinkled marshmallows and chips like crazy, which said to broil the concoction for 10 minutes. (Caught on to the hiccup yet? No? I’ll continue…)

We two, never having broiled anything before in our lives, had preheated the broiler (on HI of course!) and were totally ready for this step. Says I to husband as we slid the pan in the oven, “That seems really hot. We had better keep an eye on it.” He agreed, and we set the timer for 10 minutes. (Got it yet?)

It’s a good thing we DID keep an eye on it! After ONE minute, we looked in on our wonderful peanut buttery creation and yelped and snatched that sucker out of the oven as fast as it was possible to get potholders on the counter and the fingers grabbing it. The marshmallows were JUST a bit more than golden brown. More like dark, crispy brown. (At least they weren’t black. Have you caught onto our mistake yet?)

I was incredulous. The recipe had said 10 minutes! How on earth was that supposed to happen when the lovely marshymallows were practically burnt after 1?!

So I read the recipe again. (I can hear you laughing…)

It did not say to broil the treats for 10 minutes.

It said to broil them for 10 SECONDS.

Whoops. Good thing we are such watchful cooks, right?

No comments: