Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Flooring Fiasco

Well, we have started laying our laminate down in our house, and let me tell you, it is beautiful! Breathtaking! And we have had a heck of a time getting everything together so we can lay it….

First, let me start with a little background. When the carpet guys came to put in the carpet and deliver the laminate (which we are installing ourselves), they left our front door hanging wide open when they left! Anyone could have come in and taken the tools and things we had sitting around in there, or a dog or other animal could have come in and messed on our brand spankin’ new carpet! Not happy were we.

Then when A called to get a little more information on how to put down the laminate, he told the floor store owner/boss that the door had been left open. Not trying to get anyone in trouble, just wanted to let him (the owner) know that it had happened. And the owner did not believe him and said that someone else left the door open. (No one else had been there, and we are not liars.)

Then, we discovered that when they had delivered the laminate, they forgot to bring the underlayment with it (absolutely necessary stuff when laying the laminate over concrete, and which we had already paid for as part of our flooring). So I went and got the underlayment the next day on my lunch break. They gave me three rolls, at 100 square feet per roll.

We ordered 540 square feet of laminate.

You see where this is going, don’t you?

So we laid the first room and it took 2 rolls of underlayment. Only 1 left, with 2 rooms to go! But we thought, ok, a little frustrating, but no big deal, we’ll just ask for some more underlayment because we did not (obviously) get enough.

So A called the store. And was told that we could only have enough for our flooring, no more. A told him we didn’t have enough, he had ordered 500 and some feet of floor and only got 3 rolls. The owner tried to tell A we only ordered 400 and some odd feet of floor (which really, is still a moot point even if that HAD been correct, because 3 rolls would still not have been enough!). And apparently, A and the owner went around and around about it, and finally came to an agreement. I was to go to the store on lunch and pick up 2 rolls and a partial roll (which still is not enough, but at least it’s something). So I did.

And came out with ONE roll and a partial. (Are you getting frustrated now, too? I mean, is this for real?)

I called A, who immediately called the store, and got it all fixed so that the owner would bring the roll he forgot to give me to my building that afternoon. (He had forgotten it because his store was full of people and he was there by himself. Well, I know for a fact (here’s small towns for you) that the people in there were his wife, child and parents. So I don’t have sympathy for that situation. But anyway.)

He delivered the roll.

The partial turned out to be about 10 feet long. Woohoo.

We figured up what we had left to lay and room left to cover, and if our calculations are correct, we will need at least one other roll.

Looks like I’ll be making yet another trip to the carpet store in the fairly near future.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey Kacey! In case you didn't know...YOU'RE GETTING MARRIED THIS WEEKEND!!!!!! YAY! I am so happy and excited for you!

Page Turner said...

Thanks!! I know! It's totally snuck up on me! I'm very excited, but very nervous, too!