Every so often, we have a new tomcat show up at our house. Several years ago, it was a tabby and white bicolor. He's huge! And beautiful. Until he got into a fight with SOMETHING, I have no idea what and almost died. He ended up being ok, but he still limps on one of his hind legs, and he lost half of his tail. So now he is very intimidating, and he definitely knows it. This is Tuxedo, aka Tux.
For a long while there was also Charlie (sorry, I don't have a picture of him right now...). He was not a stray that adopted us. He was born here and lived out 12 very happy years. He was just plain cool. One of those cats that is really smart. Not just, wow that is kind of a smart cat. No, he was SMART. Trying to open doors with the doorknob when he was lifted up to the level, though he never quite succeeded. He also was quite a conversationalist. You could talk to him just like a person, because he always answered.
Charlie and Tux did not get along. At all. Charlie quite enjoyed walking up to Tux and meowing at him, just to get Tux riled up. It was something to see when both of these large cats were ready to fight. And Annie, our little black dog, loved running as fast as she could to scatter them. Cat bowling is one of her favorite things.
Sadly, Charlie passed away this year, but Tux still remains. And last night I made the acquaintance of another tom who has adopted us. He is beautiful, a creamsicle version of Tux. Well, last night there was quite a show put on.
Tux and creamsicle cat want very much to "enjoy" Dottie, the treat cat's, company. If you know what I mean. Because they are boys and she is not. Ahem. So after I had put Annie away for the night into her pen, the toms were chasing poor Dottie around. Everywhere. No matter what. This is important enough to them that Tux's innate and unalterable fear of me was suddenly altered. He did not run from me. Nothing would dissuade him from what he wanted at that moment. So I left them to it, Dottie running, and Tux and creamsicle cat following as closely as possible. And Annie whining crazily from her pen.
I'm sure this spring I will have some bea-U-tee-ful kittens. Good thing I kinda like cats... :)

No comments:
Post a Comment