This weekend was a busy one for us, starting with Thursday night. Thursday after work I met A at Menard's to pick up our new cabinets! Wahoo! We loaded up four pallets of boxes (that's right, I said four and the boxes were double stacked) which seemed like an awful lot for our 10 foot current kitchen plus the 7 or so feet of top cabinets we were adding. But more on that a little later.
Friday began the installation! Our parents came to help, and in about 2 hours the top cabinets were ripped out and the new cabinets on top were installed! It was fantastic! Then Saturday was spent taking out the bottom cabinets, figuring out the crazy plumbing that is in our house (because, you know, when has anything in our house been completed correctly?), and installing the new cabinets on bottom along with my new countertop and new deep (8 inch!) kitchen sink. Can I just say my kitchen looks amazing right now? And that's even without the new floor that we will eventually be putting in, when we can get up the gumption.
By now, your chants of "pic-tures, pic-tures, pic-tures" have become distracting, so I guess I will oblige.
This is what color we painted it. Lovely sunny yellow kind of outdoes the border above in my opinion. But I digress. Do you see the cabinets in these pictures? This is what I had before. Note the missing cabinet pull on the top cabinet and keep in mind that the sink had apparently leaked for QUITE a while since the mold was unbelievable. And they smelled like icky mold, too.
Now, can I get a drumroll, please! Enter the new lovely oak cabinets! That smell nice and new and have not a trace of mold at all! Not to mention the incredible storage I have now, compared with before. (Please ignore the mess on my countertop. I promise that it doesn't always look that way. At least most of the time.)
Look at all these cabinets! My kitchen actually looks like a kitchen now!
You may have noticed the cinder blocks stacked on each end of the counter. Here's a close up for you.

This is what happens when the counter top is stored on its short end instead of its long sides. You get a bowed countertop, and must resort to any and all heavy objects laying around in your yard to weight it down so it will be level and the glue will stick. After a week of this, hopefully your countertop will be flat again. We really hope so, anyway. If it doesn't work for you, DON'T BLAME ME.
I'm in love with my kitchen now. I actually like putting dishes away! Wonder how long I can keep that up...
TaTa!


1 comment:
I LOVE the color of your kitchen! And your new cabinets are really amazing!! Thanks sooo much for posting pictures!!!
Post a Comment