So apparently I’m no good at keeping promises to blog more regularly.
*smacks forehead*
But…this last weekend was a long weekend so I beg your leave and we will move on!
I finally finished my Jane Austen book (which was about 3 inches think and in tiny print….I loved it!) of the 7 novels she’s most known for: Pride and Prejudice (of course), Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, Persuasion, Emma, and Lady Susan. I really enjoyed all of them. Even the ones like Emma, which moved incredibly slowly at times and made me wonder “What’s the darn point of this?!” ended up being quite good. All seemingly unnecessary information became suddenly important and everything made sense. Ahh, I love that. *sigh of relief that I was not kept hanging and everyone, good and bad, got their just desserts*
Lady Susan was actually quite an interesting piece of writing—at least to me. It was just a collection of letters written from characters to other characters, which made it possible to understand what was happening in the characters’ ‘actual’ lives. I was dying the whole time to know what would happen, but really I did not like Lady Susan. She was very manipulative and made everyone around her and herself miserable. But I still really like the book.
Switching subjects. I made a pot of chili on Monday (since I had a day off I thought I should make something kind of ambitious since I would actually have time). It turned out quite well despite the fact that I forgot to set the hamburger out to thaw before I left to have Grandma take in my dress pants (yay!), didn’t get started on the whole thing until 3:30 (I’ve only ever used a crock-pot before to make chili so I had to make it on the stove and make everything up as I went along as to what would work, what wouldn’t, and all that. But anyway.), only remembered about half the recipe to begin with so just guessed on what should be thrown in the pot (I think I forgot the chili seasoning), ran out of one kind of beans so had to mix in another and well, yeah. You get the idea. It was very good! A success if ever I had one! (You know, if we ever have a non-success it will just about kill us—we’ve had such good luck so far we think we’re much better cooks than we probably are!)
I didn’t manage to get a workout video done last night like I intended because, well, A and I got hooked on watching about 6 episodes of….you’ll never guess. Operation Repo. Yeah. I actually asked A why we were watching these people yell and scream and be ridiculous, because it just didn’t make any sense when I thought about it. He said he didn’t know—I could change it if I wanted. But I didn’t…because I wanted to see what happened. Yikes.
Tonight I think we are planning on watching the collection of Pixar short films that will be on ABCFamily. Much nicer to watch for sure.

2 comments:
We are reading Emma now for class and I'm having a hard time focusing on the reading. It helps a lot in class discussion to understand what is going on.
I feel your pain on that one! Just keep in mind that all the nonsense that doesn't seem to mean anything will eventually make more sense...hopefully anyway!
Post a Comment