Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Another success, I guess!

Today was Thanksgiving at work, and you know what that means—another cooking adventure for me!

I decided to make a Caramel Banana Cake that my mother-in-law made when A and I went over for dinner a few weeks ago. I had the recipe and I bought the ingredients so I was set, right? Wrong!

First, I forgot about my sister’s soda scrimmage last night (the night of the cake making)(and by the way she played amazingly, I think). So A and I went to watch that and got home around 8. I still had a cake to make.

Just as I was getting started, I realized as I read over the recipe that I had only bought one box of banana pudding mix! And I needed two! Plus I needed some pecans! So A, lovely husband that he is, headed off to the grocery store to buy the extra stuff while I baked the cake mix part of my recipe. That part went great.

Then when we had flipped the baked cake out of the 9x13 pan (A was back now, by the way) we made the goopy stuff that went between the cake after it was sliced into two layers and on top. That part went great too, especially since I had the pudding mix I needed.

The bad part was when I had to slice the cake in two—I do not own a knife long enough to go through the entire cake at once, so of course it soon became painfully obvious that I cannot cut a straight line. So there were uneven cake crumblies everywhere. And the top layer completely fell apart when we tried to layer it on top of the goop and second cake layer. So I just mashed it all together and put more goop on top.

Then my caramel apple dip was supposed to be drizzled on top…but it was very gloppy. So I microwaved it…for 20 seconds with no improvement. So I glopped it on, all the while getting more and more upset because it was not working the way it was supposed to. And it was 10:30 by that point and I was tired. (Side note: I do not recommend late night baking—it most likely will always end in tears!) A was trying to reassure me that it looked fine but I was not to be convinced so I just put the lid on my cake pan and shoved it in the fridge.

Today, I ate some though and it was pretty tasty if I do say so myself. So the final verdict is a success! (Because even though it did not work, it still tasted good and that’s what’s really important….right?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we have all been there before....having to cook something that late in the day..being tired...and then have it not work out just like we planned. The fact it was a new recipe probably even made it worse! But you are right, if it tastes good, then it's a success! Congrats!! Enjoy the holiday!!